Skip to content

Frequently asked questions

Do I need to book an appointment?

No, you do not need to book an appointment. We take walk-in business during our opening hours, which you will find under the ‘Opening hours’ tab.  

Should I sign the document before coming in?

No, do not sign it. Documents where we need to witness your signature must be signed at our office. You must bring along a valid form of identification (ID). In some cases the form of identification that you need to produce will be stated in the document. It is important that you bring that particular document with you.

How long will it take?

Simple matters can often be dealt with immediately while you wait, depending on whether there is a Notary Public available at the office. In other cases, the document will be ready within 24 hours. There may be a longer processing time for larger volumes of documents or more complex matters.

When are you open?

We are open on weekdays between 09:00 and 17:00. We close at 16:00 on Fridays. We are closed for lunch between 12:00 and 13:00 every day. Office opening hours may differ in conjunction with public holidays and also during the summer. These are always shown under the ‘Opening hours’ tab.

Can you do translations?

No, we do not translate documents but will refer you to a translator authorised by the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency.

How much will it cost?

Our prices depend on the service being performed. You will find the price of our most common services under the ‘Price list’ tab.

Can you come to me?

Yes, we do carry out home visits and can also come to your company. We will then charge an hourly rate.

When do I pay?

You must pay when you submit your documents.

How do I pay?

It is possible to pay by VISA, Mastercard and American Express.

Can you both legalise a document and issue an apostille?

Yes we can. We have two Notaries Public at our office.

Do I need to come into the office in person?

This depends. If you are going to be signing a document, you will need to come into our office to do this. However, you will not have to come to the office in person if you need, for example, an apostille for a population registration certificate (personbevis) or registration certificate.

Do I personally need to bring the copy that is to be attested?

No, you do not need to do this. You must bring the original document so we can take a copy of it at our office. We usually take copies using our colour copier.

Can I send documents to you for an apostille?

Yes, you can do this. One precondition for that is that it is a document for which an apostille may be issued immediately. Contact us for further information.

Can I send documents to you for legalisation?

No, you cannot do this. We do not accept documents for legalisation by post. However, if you need an apostille for a document where an apostille may be issued immediately, we can help you to do this by post. See answer above.

What is an apostille?

An apostille is a certificate authenticating a public document. This certification must be presented in a particular way and comply with the provisions of the 1961 Hague Convention.

Do you issue apostilles?

Yes, we issue apostilles. An apostille costs SEK 350.

What does an apostille mean?

When a document has been issued with an apostille, it is basically exempt from further legalisation.  

How much does an apostille cost?

An apostille costs SEK 350.

What do I need to bring with me?

You will need to bring the document being certified. We do not print out documents. You will also need to bring valid identification. For certain documents such as, for example, Spanish powers of attorney, you will also need to bring an extract from the population register (personbevis). Please contact us if you require further information.

Do you draw up documents?

We do not draw up the kind of documents used abroad, for example a power of attorney. These documents should be drawn up in the country in which they are to be used to thereby ensure that they meet the requirements prescribed in that country. Feel free to contact us if you need help in drawing up Swedish documents for use in Sweden, for example a will or marital property agreement. In that case visit Advokatfirman Grönstedt’s website

How do you become a Notary Public?

The County Administrative Board appoints persons to be Notaries Public. You can either be a permanent Notary Public (ordinarie notarius publicus) or an assistant Notary Public (biträdande notarius publicus). There are stringent requirements for persons who wish to become a Notary Public. You must have completed your law degree (juristexamen or jur.kand.), have sufficient language skills, must not be declared bankrupt and also otherwise be appropriate for the assignment.

Do you have offices anywhere other than Stockholm?

We are only in Stockholm. However, a Notary Public should have been appointed in each county of Sweden. The county administrative boards in each region have lists of Notaries Public appointed within the region.

How do I find you?

Our office is located in central Östermalm in Stockholm. Our address is Styrmansgatan 41. We have our own street entrance. You can easily access our office with, for example, a pushchair or if you are in a wheelchair.